University Liggett School to celebrate Alumni Weekend, May 17-18
C-SPAN co-founder, business executive and philanthropist John D. Evans ’62 GPUS will be honored with the 2019 Distinguished Alumni Award as part of the school’s Alumni Weekend festivities, which will be held on Friday, May 17 and Saturday, May 18.Evans, a pioneer in the cable television industry, not only built the first cable television system in the Washington, D.C. area (Arlington, VA), but also brought the nation’s day-to-day Congressional legislative work into American homes through the launch of C-SPAN in March 1979.
He is an internationally recognized expert in the telecommunications industry and has been a leader in technological innovation since his days at Grosse Pointe University School (GPUS), a predecessor school of University Liggett School.
“What ever success I have enjoyed, is in large part due to the strong education, grounding, direction and social interactions I received at GPUS,” Evans said. “It’s a great honor to be acknowledged and remembered by a school that gave me my foundation, that gave me the values, principles, and knowledge that I was able to build on at the University of Michigan, in the U.S. Navy, and during my business career. There are many times I would hearken back to the words of my teachers, and remember whether it was history, literature, philosophy, or spiritual guidance, that their teaching helped me to stay focused.”
Other Alumni Weekend activities include:
Friday, May 17 Events
- Estate Planning Seminar: Presented by Jon Colman '01 and Don Rosenberg with Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras.
- 50th Reunion Alumni/5th grade Pen-Pals meet and greet and school tour
- Alumni Weekend Lunch and Learn with John D. Evans ’62 GPUS who will talk about his life and career as an innovator in the cable industry and his activism and philanthropic work.
- Golden Knights Cocktail Party for all alumni celebrating 50th or higherreunions with head of school, Bart Bronk.
Saturday, May 18 Events
- Tours of the Boll Campus Center
- All-Alumni Cocktail Reception/2019 Distinguished Alumni InductionCeremony of John Evans
- All-Alumni & Reunion Class Dinners
Previous Distinguished Alumni Award recipients include:
- Journalist and foreign correspondent Keith Richburg ’76
- Retired Rear Adm. Stanley W. Bryant ’64 GPUS
- Businessman Richard Baron '60 GPUS
- Businesswoman Denise Ilitch '73
- Former University Liggett School trustee William W. Sheldon Jr. ’68 GPUS
- Federal magistrate judge Nita Stormes '72
- Broadcast news journalist Miles O'Brien '77
- Carhartt heir and board chairperson Gretchen Valade '45 CDS
- Founder and owner of the Buffalo Bills Ralph Wilson '36 DUS
- Author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “Middlesex” Jeffrey Eugenides '78